Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Writing Fanatic

Every term, my english teacher, Mrs. Barney, has each student do a writing assignment. It can be anything from starting a novel to a poem as long as we follow all the steps. This term i started a novella entitled Confessions of a Teenage Mommy. Now don't get the wrong idea. It is not about teen pregnancy. It's about a young girl who's mother died of a Glioblastoma multiforme (a brain tumor). It's not finished but the first 12 pages did receive a 210/210 on the assignment for the term. It's hanging on her "Rocking Writing Workshop" wall. Just because I love ya'll so much i'm going to include part of my story. It's the section where Lucy (the teen narrator) is finding out that her mom is going to die.

"But mom!" I cried out, chocking back tears, "What about me? Benny, Brage, Ally? What are we supposed to do?"
"I'm sorry Hun but, you're going to have to be their mom." She got up to go into the kitchen and clean her dishes. I followed her. She may have been ready to end the conversation, but I wasn't.
"The mom?! I'm only seventeen! I still have a hard time deciding what I'm going to wear in the morning, let alone how I'm going to put food on the table for three young, growing kids! How do you expect me to do that?"
She put her dishes down in the sink and slowly turned to face me, leaning back against the counter.
"I don't know." She started to cry. I caught her as she sank to the floor and held her shaking body.
"Ok, mom--we'll figure it out."
I helped her to her room where she collapsed on her bed and cried herself to sleep. I laid in bed staring into the darkness trying to wake up from this nightmare. It can't be real. I thought. But it was.


So that's that. Let me know what you think. I need positive comments so i can make the rest of my novella to a reader's satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment